Tuesday, March 17, 2015

How did you get him to do that? "I made him an offer he couldn't refuse"

This movie is now one of my favorite movies of all time.  I had previously not seen it, but have heard a lot about it from family and just people in general.  My dad used to always joke with me saying that the Godfather teaches you everything you need to know about life, and now I know why.  Marlon Brando did a great job at portraying Vito, and I loved how the movie was told from an insider only viewpoint.  It made you feel connected to everything going on within the family, and have a lot of suspense what would happen next because there were no events that tipped you off to what was going to happen.  I love learning about this time period and about organized crime, so I was very excited to finally watch this movie, and it definitely didn't disappoint.  This movie really made me wonder how much organized crime still exists to this day.  Something cool to think about in my opinion.

Vito Corleone is the moral center to this film because everything runs through him.  Not even just the business side of the family, but the moral and happiness of the entire family.  When he got shot the whole family started going down because their leader and loved Don was down.  He was the perfect man to be leading the family.  I think when he died the world lost a giant.  This was a respectable man who was very good at what he did.  He thought rationally and provided for his family.

I love the fact that the film is told from an insider's perspective.  It makes the film different than many other films, due to the facts I stated earlier such as feeling connected to the family and not knowing what the outside families were doing.  It was very unique in that aspect and I believe it to be ahead of its time.  This movie without a doubt deserves to be called a classic.  The amount of people that know of and love the Godfather is unreal.  It's part of America's history and the fact that it resonates with so many people still today just shows how great of a story it was.  I believe the true definition of a classic is a a work of art that is relatable in any time period and one that is well known and loved.

1 comment:

Burk said...

Yes, you are now "connected." Nicely done!